Friday, February 11th

February 11, 2011- I awoke at 4:20 in the morning to water pouring out of my body. I knew what it was the moment it happened, though I couldn't quite make sense of how this could be happening when I'm only 21 weeks along. Once your water breaks you have to get the baby out, right? If he comes out now, he's too under-developed to survive....I sat with these thoughts for a few minutes and then woke Jason up. We subsequently rushed to the nearest ER. Upon entrance, they ran tests for infection and performed an ultra sound, which confirmed my water had indeed broken. There was no way to identify the cause. And this was not a small leak. 100% of my fluid was gone. He will reproduce fluid as I intake it, but it will continue to leak out. The toughest part of the news was that my son was still 3 weeks from "viability," meaning that if he was born now, he would not survive. We could only wait and pray that for 3 more weeks, infection didn't set in and I didn't go into labor. After 3 weeks, if he comes, they can intervene to help him survive. There's still the issue of the fluid, however. See, even if we make it 3 weeks with no infection and no labor, his lungs can't develop without the presence of fluid. So all we can do is wait for God to do a miracle. Seal up the rupture to allow the amniotic sack to refill with fluid....or develop my son in the absence of the fluid, so he can survive when he's forced to come out here. And so our journey begins....

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 6

We made it another day! Baby boy is far less active today. I think he stays awake for 24 hour periods and then sleeps for 24 hour periods. It seems I haven't been leaking as much fluid, which could be a good thing, except that I worry he may not be functioning as well as he should be. Then I worry about the fact that he could end up laying on the cord. There's an increased risk of that with no fluid present. Then I realize I could spend my whole day worrying, but that won't do him any good, so let's not. Let's put our trust in God.

I think the reality of being admitted to the hospital at 24 weeks hit me yesterday. I was looking at admission as a good thing, because it means I made it to 24 weeks, but now I'm thinking about what that really means. No big screen TV, no Truth by my side all day, icky hospital food. The goal is to get me to 32 weeks, so that would be 8 weeks in a hospital bed. Yikes! I'm beginning to wonder if I have to be admitted at 24 weeks or if I have the choice to stay home longer. Dad says not to worry about all that- take it one week at a time. He's right.....but I have a lot of time on my hands to think about all of this.

I think my brain is already starting to slow down a bit. I was talking to Darcy today about throwing someone under the table. I realized quite a few seconds later that I meant to say "bus." Oy! As Jason says- I'm used to kicking butt and taking names and now I've been relegated to laying on the couch, which is leading to quite the brain mushery. I need some logic puzzles and brain teasers!

You can tell by today's tone that I'm not feeling quite as encouraged as prior days. I'm not giving up, though. I know God will help me get back to that place. For now, I'm rejoicing in the fact that I've made it almost a full week with no labor or infection. That is a miracle in itself. Looking forward to my doctor appointment on Friday and hoping for some miraculous news. Also looking forward to having some visitors over the next few days, to help break up the monotony.

3 comments:

  1. You can do it, Shauna.

    Being on bed rest doesn't mean you can't engage in the same thought-provoking conversations you get at the office. Unlike a company laptop, you can use imagination and instructional design for personal things. :P

    If you're online, you are global. Now is the time to travel. There are something like 7 Billions people living in 200 countries on Earth. About 2 Billion of those people are online. Explore some countries! Meet some new people!

    You've had to unload a number of projects to your team back at the office, but how much time do you have to explore how other businesses/industries are pursuing similar initiatives, now? What trends do you spot?

    The things we have in common enable us to appreciate (and even benefit from) our differences. Get out there and see the world.

    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you have imagined."

    (PS - This is Brian.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian =0) Any tips for changing blog backgrounds? I don't like any of the standard templates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime, Shauna. I've never really worked with Blogger before (I'm all about the Wordpress), but I did a little digging and it looks like you can edit the layout from the control panel.

    From the looks of it, you might be able to use any picture you like, by hosting the image on and pasting the link into the code on the back end.

    Link: http://simple-blogger-tips.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-change-blogger-background.html

    Tip - Remember some corporate content filters block images on Flickr/Imageshack/Photobucket/PBase. You might want to host your background images on your own site. (I can set you up some space on one of mine if you need it.)

    Tip - When looking for larger images for background use, consider searching Google for "textures." Lots of excellent stuff there. :)

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete